Monday, August 13, 2012

kde unable to mount usb sticks

ck-list-session shows my session as inactive

Recently i could fix another problem on my system which i had since i set it up. I wasn't able to mount usb-sticks. I always got the messages: Not authorized, and since i had no knowledge about udisks i had to look again how to fix it. I was surprised how long i could live without mounting usb sticks.


Basically mounting devices should work without any special configuration changes but my system had a difference compared with other systems. I didn't use an login-manager like kdm. I'm used to go into kde with the startx command. Because of that my session wasn't active and therefore udisks didn't allowed me to mount devices.
The change was simple and was done in:
 /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy  

In the section "Mount a device" i had to change a "no" into "yes" in the line "allow_inactive":
  <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount">  
   <description>Mount a device</description>  
   <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message>  
   <defaults>  
    <allow_any>no</allow_any>  
    <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>  
    <allow_active>yes</allow_active>  
   </defaults>  
  </action>  

Easy fix and now i'm able to mount usb-stick's again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment